Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What's the difference between management consulting and industrial organization psychology?

I'm a Psychology major that is looking to get into either management consulting or I/O Psychology. Is there a difference between the two? Personal tips, experience, etc. are very helpful! Unfortunarely, I do not have any experience in this field yet. Does my Psychology degree give me a good chance at landing a job in a consulting firm? What else is needed in order to prepare for such a career? Thanks!What's the difference between management consulting and industrial organization psychology?
There are most certainly consulting firms which hire predominantly I/O psychologists- in fact they are quickly growing in number. If you have an advanced degree from a good school, you can most certainly land a job with one of these companies. Your Bachelors in Psych wont get you a job with a consulting company, but a MA in I/O psychology most certainly will.

The difference between management and I/O consulting is the background and approach- I/O psychologists rely more heavily on empirical findings, data collection and analysis, research, and in general a more scientific way of approaching a consulting role. In other words, while they are similar, there is most certainly a difference.

Your best preparation for a career in this field is pretty simple- get an advanced degree from a good school and while in school gain some relevant experience thtough internships.

The demand, and the field, for I/O is growing fast, I would highly advise going into the field if you have any interest (I did, and I love it)What's the difference between management consulting and industrial organization psychology?
Management consulting is an industry that uses a variety of skills and expertise to advise and help businesses for a fee. Some small percentage of their work would be in industrial organization psychology.



I'm sure that there are firms that specialize in IOP, as well as people practicing IOP who are staff members of large companies and organizations.



Working in consulting is high paced, stressful, but rewarding. You have to help the team find clients, make presentations, prepare usefull reports, etc. You have a responsibility to help make the team successful.



I would image working in IOP in a company would be less stressful and more hands on, and focused on just one company.

No comments:

Post a Comment