Saturday, February 25, 2012

Horse Management- How did you get into horses and where did you learn the necessities?

A lot of people get into the horse business or horse ownership as a "family" thing. The generations before them had horses, and now they too own horses. I'm sure most of their knowledge comes from learning by hand.



But some other people (like myself) do not get this opportunity. My grandparents owned horses, but my parents did not. So that "hands-on" learning that goes on for generations stopped.

Right now I'm still in High School but plan on owning a horse or more in the future. I've taken equine science/management classes, and work with large animals like cattle (not that their care is alike!).

And as weird as it sounds- I think I am going too far with learning and reasearch.



So have you horse owners learned what you know from childhood, learned about the subject then got into horses, or just got horses and learned as you go?Horse Management- How did you get into horses and where did you learn the necessities?
I always loved horses, but was only able to ride trails occasionally as a child, and took lessons for a very short time. I bought a horse when I was about 30, and that was a disaster, as the horse was, "hot". My daughter also picked up the love of horses, and wanted to ride, or buy a pony. We did buy a pony, but didn't know that much about horses. The kids enjoyed riding her, but she soon became unmanageable, because adults could not ride her. Finally, after selling the pony, my daughter (still intent on the whole horse thing), decided to take lessons. This helped her to learn the basics about riding, basics about horses, do a little showing, etc. I still was uncomfortable bridling a horse, saddling a horse, etc.



The best thing to do is find a barn with a very good trainer. You might even like to watch some of the lessons they are giving other people. Do a little checking to find out who is considered good. A person giving lessons can simply have a horse ready for you to ride, give you a lesson while they are talking to other people, and pay little attention to you, or your actual progress. Find someone who is interested in teaching you about riding, fundamentals of bridling, saddling, and horse safety. Often, a smaller private barn will provide a little more hands-on time, than a larger barn that has a production line of people going through, lesson after lesson. They are not necessarily "bad", but you may not learn as much with them, as someone who can spend a little time with you. Also make sure they are a good rider. Have they been showing their horses, or do their students show at shows other than just their own barn shows? This is not a necessity, but it might show that they are interested in getting better in order to be good enough to do well at shows. You would do well to do anywhere from 6 months of lessons to even a couple of years of lessons with a good trainer, before buying a horse. This does a lot of things for you, including allowing you to ride more than one horse, which is very good for you. Then, if you do decide to buy a horse, make sure you have a very experienced person helping you make your decision, because you can get a horse that is not trained well, too much horse for you, or simply of ill health, which is very difficult to discern. Never purchase a horse without a VET CHECK. The money spent on a vet check can save you more than you might even spend on the horse, and lots of heartache, if the horse is not even rideable, and you have to resell it, perhaps with no success. Get to know horse people, and consider joining a 4H club, because the people in these clubs are usually very helpful, and know quite a lot. These are usually good contacts. Good luck.
Hi! I'm the first one in my family to ever even pet a horse! I knew nothing about horses in the beginning but i took lessons from a reliable trainer until I was ready to own my own horse! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GREAT VET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Always get a vet check. Joing 4H club is a brilliant idea!!

Report Abuse

Horse Management- How did you get into horses and where did you learn the necessities?
I have always luvved horses and started to ride wen i was like 3 i started lessons wen i was 5/6 and have always ridden since i learned all the stuff at camps and i now part own ...



Cams are great to learn things and also books and pages on the internet takin general knowledge quizzes too!

Report Abuse


Beware NAIS-(national animal identification system) designed to benefit corporate ag/ factory farming but will put those who own livestock on a private basisto to be under more govt surveillance than illegals, sex offenders or drug dealers...see nonais.org

Report Abuse

Horse Management- How did you get into horses and where did you learn the necessities?
I have been a horse rider for most of my life, since i was about 3 or 4. Horse riding had been in my family but everyone stopped riding, till me. Horse riding takes a lot of dedication and care, I first began to ride at a riding school, then went on to private lessons from about 6, I luv my14 horses

Report Abuse


I got my first horse in 6th grade. I've had him now for about 3 years. He is the sweetest horse you will ever meet. He is a breeze to handle, he knows me so well, he never pushes my limits. I love him to death. I went to horse camp for 2 years, then took lessons on a stud for about a year. ;3

Report Abuse


I started riding when i was 11? close to there but my mom and dad had both riden before but not like REALLY rode if u know what i mean! lol. I owe it all to my trainer, TRICA!!! She tot me english and western. But my favorit was Bareback :):)):) I have two horses one is "my first love!" Daisy!

Report Abuse


I started riding at 14, a little later than most people get into the game. From there I started showing horses, and leased one, and then purchased another. Usually how people get into horses is they start taking riding lessons at a stable, depending on what discipline you want to learn.

Report Abuse


I started riding around 6 years ago. I fell in love instantly. my parents couldn't afford a horse for me, so I learned a lot from constantly riding different horses around the barn. Now I am consistently riding an amazing arabian/quarterhorse cross!

Report Abuse


None of my family has had horses, pretty much ever. Not my grandparents, and I don't think even my great grandparents had any. So I've had to start from nothing, but I've learned a ton working at the barn and taking riding lessons, helping out people with their horses, reading and doing a bit of research here and there, and just spending time around them. I think spending time with horses is the best way possible to learn about them, you don't even have to really do anything with them just spend time with them, because books can only teach you so much.



I have yet to get a horse myself, but at this point I think I could handle having one, simply because I now know people who would help me out with anything I don't have experience with. I would not suggest just getting a horse without taking any lessons or have experience with them, not just other large animals but them specifically.
I started 18 years ago by taking lessons at a local stable. You can take weekly lessons and they typically offer camps as well that will give you even more experience. After doing that for 5 years I got my first horse. We did a lot of learning together but those 5 years helped SO much. I would have been lost without them. I have had my horse for 13 years now. I love him so much. BUT it is a LOT of work, a LOT of time %26amp; a TON of money to own a horse. You have to take into consideration more than just your board and farrier care. My horse had impaction colic and that cost me almost $2000 and he fractured a bone in his hoof which cost me around $3000 and there have been stiches here, injuries there, etc. I've spent over $50000 in the last 13 years on board, vet bills, farrier bills, lessons, ect. It is very rewarding but a HUGE responsibility. Good luck to you!
My mom's family had horses in their lives before I was thought of-lol.I have a old pic(sorry momma) of my mom,my aunt,and my uncle when they were lil on their ponies.From when I was old enough my family had me around horses,then leaned more in early teenag days, on working student farm,polo barn and continued to learn-still am learning.

After working with horses most of my life I finally got my own almost 3 years ago.My wonderful silly arab,and have not looked back-everyday she teaches me something new,and I try to find diffrent ways to solve diffrent problems that we come across.Horses are a never ending process.You will never know everything there is to know about horses.

My momma still has horses for pleasure,my aunt is a trainner, and her husband is a farrier.I guess when it is in you you have no choice but to have these wonderful animals in your life.

It looks like you are taking some good courses. never be afraid to learn as much as you can.
I grew up with them. My biggest influence were my aunt %26amp; uncle. She trained TB's and he is still an outrider. When I was younger I kept mine at my grandparents' farm with theirs. I spent summers with my aunt %26amp; uncle and by 15 had a job. I've been fortunate to work in alot of different areas, showing, racing, and now breeding. So far my son loves them, I hope it's not a phase he'll outgrow, since I've planned on him becoming a doctor or lawyer (just kidding lol) I hope he does keep them as a hobby. Good luck and learn all you can from everyone you can!
My father was a jockey but he made me take lessons from around the age of 4 with a BHS approved center. That gave me a good foundation and then I picked stuff up from him as I went along. I did a degree in racehorse management when I left school along with BHS exams. When I moved to the US, I worked for several farms and then did a degree in equine repro. As a child though, I read everything I could find about horses from bits, tack, breeds to feeding principals and ailments. My memory is almost photographic and I can read something and remember it. I think you can never know enough and I think the key to working in the industry is to balance theoretical knowledge with practical experience.
First off, all education is invaluable. You can never learn too much. My grandma was a horsewoman in Kentucky. It skipped the next generation and I am the only one in mine with the bug. I started lessons at age 6, wrangled in Colorado at age 18, had a wreck a couple years later and didn't get back into horses for a few years, at which point I partnered with a quarterhorse professional in my area for a few years, fitting futurity horses and training youngsters for saddle, then mentored under a dressage trainer for 7 years. Got involved during this with helping the local 4H program kids, showing my own string, then got a top arab mare, took courses in breeding and now have a training/breeding/foaling operation. I also took many seminars from Michigan State, Purdue and attended many clinics on a variety of subjects for a well rounded education. It's taken about 40 years to get where I am and I still would like to take some short courses. I also read everything I can get my hands on, pick the brains of vets and vet techs, and watch informational videos, plus I ask a ton of questions. I attend a lot of shows in an artist capacity and study what goes on behind the scenes for a more honest look at how things work. I like to be fully informed before I try anything, I find it really helps. And I have no problem asking for help from others if I need it.
U can never learn too much, and anyone who owns horses will tell u that learning never stops. There is always new research. That being said, are you riding at all? You can always help out around the barn you ride at, if the owner/manager knows that you are serious and hard working. That is definately the best way to go, plus you meet industry professionals who may be able to help your career at some point. Take as many classes as you can, and save your money. Make sure you act professional every where you go. As much as it can suck on 90+ days, no tank tops or shorts, unless you are 100% sure it's fine. And keep your credit good! That way you can morgage your own farm!
I started lessons when I was about 10. I managed to pester someone in to teaching me to ride her horses ! She then insisted that I learn how to care for them in return.

I later took lessons at a local school and spent a lot of time helping out there at weekends and holidays as well. I went on to a more advanced school and was offered a part time job and then spent several years working for their daughter at her competition yard. ( my daughters work there now !)
My family raised arabs when I was growing up. I learned alot from my mom. When I started on my own, I was 23 and took lessons and then onto showing, which was more lessons.
No one in my family ever had anything to do with horses, so when I was a horse crazy little girl, my parents assumed it was just a phase and it would pass. Well, I'm still horse crazy. Like a few people have said, you can NEVER learn too much about horses. I personally took lessons for a few years, and now I ride at a local barn, mucking stalls and feeding in exchange for riding. I learned a lot of what I know from books. Hundreds of them. As soon as the library gets a new horse book, I read it. I also research a lot of things online. Internet is a great resource :) Also, try just finding horsey people. I learned a lot of what I know from hanging out with people who have horses and their knowledge rubbed off on me. I still don't own a horse of my own because it's so expensive, but I know that when I can afford a horse of my own, I'll be ready. Basically, just be a life-time learner. Learn what you can from who you can. Try to be around horses as much as possible, even if it's just leading them around or mucking out stalls.
I had the opportunity to be raised on the original Stuart Anderson's Black Angus Ranch (the guy who started the steakhouses). My dad was the main "cowhand" there. I learned many things (to do and NOT do) from him. I was raised around horses until I was 10 then I didn't have any until I was in my 20's. I have used what i have learned from my dad, my uncle and from common knowledge. I have also read up alot about horses on the web and in books. They are just like any other animals (close) on how to care for them...most is common sense!:) And you have to have a LOVE for them!
My family has owned Horses. My grandma did, my Great grandpa harness raced horses but my current family did not. I grew up in wyoming and i didnt learn a thing about horses, although all my friends had ranches. I learned from just getting a free horse and boarding it. learning as i went. Although i do not suggest this. Learn all you can before you take on the life long responsibility. Lease a horse for a little bit. Learn more. you can never go too farr in research.
We moved next door to a horse farm when I was 6. I started taking lessons from a British Horse Society tested instructor there, who insisted on things being done the right way. I hung around a lot and got put to work. After a few years, I had enough experience, was lightweight and willing to be the first rider on most of the young horses and problem ponies. I got my first horse at age 11, and joined Pony Club at 14, where I learned quite a lot more about horse management. During that time, I also read a lot of books.



You should see if you can volunteer to work somewhere in exchange for lessons. That way you actually benefit even more because you'll get hands on knowledge of both riding and horse care, and it won't cost you much!



good luck.
I got my first pony at 8 yrs old. My step dad use to work at a fox hunting stable when he was young. He had an old horsemanship/pony club manual that he gave to me when I got my pony . It was a HUGE book!! I read it over and over again...That is where I learned how to groom , feed and care for my pony. My step dad taught me how to saddle and bridle my horse but once I knew , I was on my own!! I taught myself how to ride with only a little instruction from my dad and from what I read..Growing up I bought and read every horse book I could get my hands on. I also asked experienced horse people for advice along the way. Books are great but hands on experience is the best way to learn. I'm 30 yrs old now and I still love to learn anything new about horses.
none of my family that i know of has ever even liked horses. but when we used to live in england both of my sisters loved them the first time they saw them.(i wasnt born yet or was just an infant) so when we moved to the netherlands, my sisters started horse riding lessons. I was too young to start the lessons. but at the end of every lesson they have what you call 'outstoppa', whitch basicly means cooldown or something to that effect. anyone was aloud to get a pony ride during this time. so i would get up on the ponies that my sisters would be riding and get a pony ride. the owner of the stable knowtist this,(how i was very confident and comftorable around the horses) and he asked my mom if i wanted to start lessons. of i did so i did. i was 8 and the lesson age was 9. I got lucky! So i had lessons for about 6 months to year (cant quite remember, was a long time ago) There, i learned how to care for horses with the help of my 2 sisters. when i finally moved to america, i got a horse. i have had him for about 3 years. i hope to bury him in my backyard when he dies,in other words, i dont ever want to sell him. even if he is already like 18 and im 14. i hope to get another one sometime but it mightnot be untill im out of high school. Good luck with your studies!

No comments:

Post a Comment